Sunday, July 11, 2010

Soldering, attempt number two.

Still not perfect, but much better than my first attempt! I realized what I did wrong the first time- I had too much stuff under the glass. My piece was too thick to tape properly (copper foil tape is wrapped around the glass first). I may break it and save the watch pieces for a future project. I don't like to waste materials on unwearable pieces.

Here's the new piece, front and back:

Photobucket

Photobucket

The clip art and quotes came from the Simple Soldered book. I adapted one of the author's designs. I also used some "girly" scrapbooking papers for the background. All it needed for finishing was a silk ribbon! It's still not perfect. I got a little bit of the liquid flux under the glass. It discolored the paper a bit, but otherwise didn't damage the piece. I also burned myself with my soldering iron. *rolls eyes* Ouch.

I also made a necklace with the Paris charm I bought from Goody Beads:

Photobucket

I added an old French coin. I have several more coins drilled, but this one matched the charm and the chain best.

I love that book, and I love soldering! There are so many projects I want to do.

No comments: